Cannelés with Macerated Berries and Whipped Crème Fraîche
- 2 pints berries (a mix is nice)
- granulated sugar, to taste
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 6 cannelés, 6 slices pound cake, or 6 shortbread cookies
- Pile the berries into a bowl and toss with the sugar. Leave to macerate until the juices start to run and the berries are soft.You can do this a day ahead and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Whip the crème fraîche until it’s slightly thickened. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and whip a bit more until blended.
- Arrange a big dollop of crème fraîche on each plate, top with the berries, and nestle a cannelé between the cream and the fruit. Serve right away.