Stuffed Peppers with Comté & Couscous
Recipe type: Appetiser,Entree
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for dish
- 2 red bell peppers
- ½ cup whole-wheat couscous
- Salt and pepper
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs discarded, finely diced
- 1 small or ½ medium zucchini, finely diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, rosemary and oregano
- 1 cup (loosely packed) shredded Comté (2 ounces), divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Cut the red peppers in half lengthwise (through the stem). Remove and discard the stems, seeds and ribs. Bake, cut side down, 15 minutes; turn peppers over and cook an additional 15 minutes. Set aside (keep oven on).
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water to a boil. Add the couscous and a pinch of salt. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, yellow pepper, and a pinch of salt and black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook 3 minutes. Add the garlic and raisins; cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the red wine vinegar and cook 30 seconds. Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the couscous. Let cool slightly. Add the pine nuts, chopped herbs and ¼ cup shredded Comté. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in the egg.
- Scoop the couscous filling into the red pepper halves, packing it tightly (you might have some leftover filling, depending on the size of your peppers). Divide the remaining Comté evenly over the top of each pepper. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly toasted
- in spots. Serve warm.